Ant Control 101: What Every Plymouth Homeowner Needs To Know
What things cause your skin to crawl? What gives you shivers down your spine? Is it the sound of fingernails scratching a chalkboard? Does the sound of cutlery scraping across a plate bother you? Do your teeth hurt when someone is crunching ice? Are there smells from foods like sauerkraut or Brussel sprouts that make you want to leave the table? Everyone has sights, sounds, or smells that make them squeamish or shiver.
In addition to sights, sounds, or smells that cause mental discomfort are pests. Seeing a cockroach, rat, or spider run across the floor is upsetting to most people. Finding a string of ants in the kitchen marching to the pet food bowl or surrounding a garbage can is also disconcerting to many people. Pests in our houses bother us because they are not supposed to be in our homes.
If ants are streaming into your kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, or garage, you need a locally-owned company with over two decades of experience to solve your problem. The Plymouth pest control team from Combat Pest Control will stop ants from infesting your house.
Our pest control technicians can tackle any situation and remove ants from your Plymouth home. Since 2008, we have removed ants from houses, leaving customers satisfied with our no-nonsense guarantee. Please keep reading because the following information will help you understand the battle against ants, the problems they can cause, and what you can do to prevent future infestations.
Pest control should not be something that’s too expensive to be within reach. Combat Pest Control offers a range of pest control options and plans to meet any budget while delivering the service you need.
As a local business that has served the Plymouth area for over 25 years, Combat Pest Control takes our commitment to our customers seriously. We treat you like our neighbors because you are!
No two homes or businesses are alike or have the same pest control needs. We take the time to identify your pest issues and assess your unique situation so that we can create a customized treatment plan to meet your needs.
Combat Pest Control is a local company that treats our customers like our neighbors because you are! From our friendly, informative technicians to our no-nonsense guarantee, you won’t find better service anywhere else.
The Habits And Behaviors Of Common Ants
There are thousands of ant species worldwide, but carpenter, pavement, sugar, and red ants are among the most familiar in the Plymouth area. Although these ants vary in color and size, they share many things in common.
Ants social creatures, which means they live in colonies or groups. Ants create nests using soil and organic plant matter outside in yards, along sidewalks, pavement cracks, next to buildings, and inside rotting wood. Inside houses, they build homes in wall voids, behind baseboards, inside appliances and electrical boxes, insulation, and damp wood.
Ants create new colonies through either swarming or budding. One example of ants that produce new nests through swarming is carpenter ants. When a carpenter's nest matures to about 10,000 ants, the queen produces reproductive winged ants alongside sterile workers and soldiers. In the spring, after a heavy rain, pairs of reproductive ants (or alates) fly from the nest on wind currents in search of new nesting locations.
The other way ants form new homes is through a process known as budding. Some ant colonies have more than one queen, and if there is a threat to the nest, the queen will take other reproductive ants and travel to a new location to create a satellite colony.
A member of our team will be in touch shortly to confirm your contact details or address questions you may have.
An Ant Infestation Can Cause Many Problems In The House
Ant control in your house is necessary for these reasons:
- Destruction: Although most ants will not physically harm your house, carpenter ants will wreak havoc on your home. Carpenter ants build nests by boring holes deep into damp wood in the crawl space or basement. After years of tunneling into the damp support beams, they become unstable and break under stress causing sagging floors and collapsing structures.
- Disease: Unlike cockroaches that spread disease-causing organisms throughout a house, most ants do not expose family members to dangerous pathogens except pharaoh ants. The yellow and orange-colored pharaoh ants can spread salmonella, streptococcus, pseudomonas, and clostridium.
- Contamination: Pharaoh ants are not common in homes in our area, but that does not mean ants are not a problem. Ants forage and travel everywhere, including rotten food, animal feces, drains, and other unsanitary areas. When ants move over those places, they unwittingly pick up bacteria lying on the surface. When ants later crawl over exposed foods, kitchen countertops, food products, and inside kitchen drawers, the bacteria on their legs contaminate surfaces and products.
- Bites: Ants will bite when threatened. In some cases, wounds from an ant are not noticeable, but bites from some ants, like carpenter ants, result in a temporary stinging sensation due to the formic acid they inject into the wound.
- Hazards: When ants invade a location, they bring moisture from dead plant matter to eat and help in nest creation. Some ants are attracted to electrical wiring in walls and electronic equipment. Ants chew on the housing around the wiring and will, over time, expose the wiring. The mixture of dampness and electricity can result in short circuits that may harm electronics.
Combat Pest Control provides ant control solutions to protect your family and pets from costly structural repairs, food contamination, and disease.
At Combat Pest Control, your satisfaction is our priority! See for yourself what our customers have to say about working with us.
The owner came out himself and he found a second huge yellow jacket nest that we didn't even know was there and he took care of that nest too.- Jill G.
Combat is the best! We couldn’t live in Hanover with John and his crew! Very responsive and thorough.- Michelle L.
John was professional, friendly, and informative. I would highly recommend John and Combat Pest Control to anyone, and if needed in the future they will be the company I call first for any type of pest control in my home.- Michelle R.
Chad is super knowledgeable and friendly. Appreciate his work as well as the rest of the Combat team!- Robert P.
They're easy to work with, pricing is great and they always manage to get someone to my house when needed. Having a dedicated technician is helpful too to build rapport with the company.- Anthony G.
This is our third year with them. We first called because of ants in the house. I couldn't stop them. Combat did the job and we are ant-free. Combat responds quickly to an ant in the kitchen and wasps and bees nests. Thank you Combat !- Mark C.
I'm very pleased with John's pest control performed on my house in south Weymouth. He has found the nest of the ants. I really appreciate his professionalism. Will hire them again and again.- Shirley H.
John & the Combat team know our house well and the critters that challenge us. He's quick to respond to any attempted incursion and quickly responds to defeat them. They also take great care in working around our dogs- Kristen P.